What is Biophilic Design?
Biophilic design refers to an architectural and interior design approach that incorporates elements of nature and natural environments into the manufactured environment. The concept is based on the idea that humans have an innate connection with nature, and by integrating natural elements such as plants, natural light, water features, and organic shapes into buildings and spaces, people can experience improved well-being, productivity, and overall satisfaction. Biophilic design aims to create spaces that evoke a sense of tranquility, connection, and harmony with the natural world.
What Does Biophilic Design Include?
Biophilic design can incorporate nature in a variety of different ways:
- Shapes: This includes any shapes that mimic nature. Think rock walls, water paths, or other similar natural shapes.
- Patterns: Patterns found in nature, such as natural rhythms of day/night or other cycles, the erosion of rocks, the growth of plants, etc.
- Light: Adding natural sunlight is one of the simplest ways to incorporate biophilic design.
- Colours: Adding colours inspired by nature (earthy/neutral tones and greens are a good start).
- Plants: This can include actual plants, pictures of plants, or even plant-inspired color schemes!
- Wildlife: Bring the animal kingdom into your spaces using bird feeders, plants that attract insects, or even pets!
What are its Benefits?
The physiological benefits of utilizing biophilic design include a balanced circadian rhythm, resulting in easier sleep, healthier indoor air quality due to fresh air, faster healing, better general health, reduced blood pressure, and less sickness. The psychological benefits include reduced stress levels, increased mental engagement and productivity, boosted creativity, and improved mental well-being.
What About Wood?
Solid wood is a top material choice for biophilic design. The colors, textures, and imitation of trees are ideal for bringing nature into your home, office, or other space!
This is a lot of Information-Can You Make it Simpler?
To make the idea of starting to use biophilic design simpler, consider these simple ways to connect with nature in your home or office space:
- Open windows or doors to let in fresh air
- Utilize natural materials, such as natural solid wood furniture
- Consider setting up an outside space for you to enjoy
- Bring potted plants inside so you can enjoy them all year round
- Have large windows in your house that provide views of nature, or consider putting up photos or art that depict natural scenes
The connection between humans and nature is not new, but biophilic design and incorporating nature into man-made built environments is relatively recent. To start gaining the benefits of biophilic design, consider investing in some solid-wood furniture. Not only is it a great way to bring nature into your home while meeting your needs in a stylish way, but it is also environmentally sustainable. Check out our collection of custom solid wood furniture online or visit us in-store!